8.30.2010

The DUFF

The DUFF (Designated Ugly Fat Friend)
"The DUFF" by Kody Keplinger


Seventeen-year-old Bianca Piper is cynical and loyal, and she doesn't think she's the prettiest of her friends by a long shot. She's also way too smart to fall for the charms of man-slut and slimy school hottie Wesley Rush. In fact, Bianca hates him. And when he nicknames her "Duffy," she throws her Coke in his face.

But things aren't so great at home right now. Desperate for a distraction, Bianca ends up kissing Wesley. And likes it. Eager for escape, she throws herself into a closeted enemies-with-benefits relationship with Wesley.

Until it all goes horribly awry. It turns out that Wesley isn't such a bad listener, and his life is pretty screwed up, too. Suddenly Bianca realizes with absolute horror that she's falling for the guy she thought she hated more than anyone.

"The Duff" grabs you by the throat, and then refuses to let you go. You stay up until dawn just because you want to know what happens NOW and not tomorrow. When we first meet Bianca Piper, her voice is so distinct and so strong that you begin to feel she is a real person, and in a way, she is. Who hasn't felt like "The Duff" (The designated, fat, ugly, friend) ? I know I have. Everyone has, as Bianca comes to realize. I could relate to Bianca and her self image because I have frequently felt as though I was The Duff in my group of friends. The story can throw a few people off just because there are a lot of sexual situations concerning Wesley and Bianca, but it's a lot more than just a book about friends with benefits, or..."enemies" with benefits. It's a story about putting yourself in someone else's shoes and thinking before you call someone a "slut" or "whore" because you don't know their story. This book made me think a lot about the people who I consider to be slutty or trashy...I don't really know them, so why am I going to judge them? There are a lot of lessons in this book to be learned.


One thing that I absolutely DETESTED about this book was...and don't read this if you haven't read the book....


was the reference to "Wuthering Heights" toward the end of the book. Bianca uses this book as a parallel to her love triangle with Toby and Wesley that ultimately plays out. In the process of using this parallel, she gives away the ending to the book "Wuthering Heights" . Incidentally, I was going to start reading "Wuthering Heights" after I finished The Duff. But she so conveniently told me who Catherine picks in the story.


Thanks, Bianca.


That, was the only thing I didn't like about the book, and it's what turned the 5 star rating into a 4 star.


I loved this book, not so much the spoilers. 4 Stars ****

No comments:

Post a Comment