3.04.2011

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Delirium
Delirium by Lauren Oliver


Read: 2/13/11-3/2/11

Bought, Won, Got from local library, Got as a gift

Amount of hearts i give it: ♥♥♥1/2

Synopsis:

Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the governments demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.

But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love.

My Thoughts:

It took me forever to finish this book and I have no idea why. (if you're like me and you count like two weeks as "taking forever" to read a book. ha!) I think it had something to do with the fact that I started to read "Tricks" by Ellen Hopkins when I was about midway through and then I couldn't tear myself away from that book until it was done. Then I moved back. But FIRST OFF, that COVER! One of my readers told me not to judge a book by it's cover, but I always do anyway. I can't help it. If a book has a lovely cover, i'm gonna jump up and be like MUSTREADTHAT dkjsaklfejsalk. This book has a dazzling cover. If you take the jacket off it reveals a woman's face and it's so shiny and pretty and I adore it.
Anyway, when am I ever gonna get to the actual book?
Now.
Lena, the main character, lives in a world where it is illegal to love. Any kind of love, is outlawed, and love is viewed as a disease: amor deliria nervosa. In Lena's world, if you are eighteen or older, you are required to get surgery to prevent the deliria. Crazy, right? The people who are cured remind me a lot of Stepford wives, they're kind of creepy and dry and just, lifeless. Lena thinks that this is the kind of life that's normal, but when she meets Alex, she knows it's not.
The love story in this book is so gorgeous. I, myself, was in love with Alex! There are a lot of quoteable lines that I underlined for future references and future facebook statuses. *snicker* Absolutely beautiful. While I thought that the love story between Alex and Lena was gorgeous, Lena kind of annoyed me. It was mostly her name that annoyed me. I read a lot of books, A LOT. and a lot of the books I read nowadays have the name Lena in it. It's hard to separate Lena from another Lena I met in a story and another. That was a little frustrating, but I was able to get past it. I thought it was sort of a tragic story...for a lot of reasons. One being, that people who did catch the deliria were forced to give up the ones they love, forced into unwanted surgeries, labeled Sympathizers. It was achingly sad, but the ending of the book was kind of bittersweet, thought I won't tell you that part!
I'm sorry if this review was a little choppy, It's hard to organize my thoughts...I just loved this book, and you will too. Go read it, now! kbye.


No comments:

Post a Comment