1.27.2011

Ari's Lament

Hi! I spent all day writing this. This is a poem that I wrote that is based on OTHER WORDS FOR LOVE by Lorraine Zago Rosenthal. I've never been so moved by a book that I felt that I had to write something about it, and today that changed. This is called Ari's Lament and it's from Ari's point of view. I don't think that there are any spoilers but if you're afraid then you don't have to read it and maybe you can read my review on this wonderful book instead. (:





Ari's Lament

Perfect on the surface
so beautiful I could die
You've always left me breathless
did you ever wonder why?

I keep my heart on my sleeve
and you take it and it's yours
I really start to believe
that you'll never close the door

And you led me up the stairs
and I knew that you'd never
leave me alone, ever
don't you dare.

Perfect on the surface
you could never make me cry
alone, I was so restless,
with you I could only sigh

But HE didn't care about
what I saw within your eyes
all he did was shot
that your love would fade and die

And you fade day by day
"he'll never leave" I declare
you wouldn't. you wouldn't dare.
and slowly, you pull away

Perfect on the surface
your perfection is a lie
your chances were endless
but to me you said goodbye

You loved me, but not enough
to choose me and your true dream
now I know other words for love
and things are not what they seem

And you're a box in my attic
and I'll think, at least I dared
to fall in love, to live
and I was fearless, never scared,
and I still have love to give

Perfect on the surface
that's all you were, but I
know you were not worthless
you taught me to say goodbye

-------

Let me know what you think!

3 comments:

  1. Emily, this is beautiful. It captures Ari's emotional state so well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This,

    And you're a box in my attic
    and I'll think, at least I dared
    to fall in love, to live
    and I was fearless, never scared,
    and I still have love to give

    Makes me think of Taylor Swift ( just the fearless bit! ).

    And this one,

    Perfect on the surface
    your perfection is a lie
    your chances were endless
    but to me you said goodbye

    Is my favourite! I love your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks so much! i'm in looove with taylor. i write alllot and i put the word fearless in almost everything i write, sometimes without even noticing.

    ReplyDelete