1.27.2011

Other Words For Love

Photobucket

Other Words For Love by Lorraine Zago Rosenthal


Read: 1/23/11-1/26/11
Bought, Won, Got from local library, Got as a gift
Amount of hearts i give it: ♥♥♥♥♥

Synopsis:

When an unexpected inheritance enables Ari to transfer to an elite Manhattan prep school, she makes a wealthy new friend, Leigh. Leigh introduces Ari to the glamorous side of New York--and to her gorgeous cousin, Blake. Ari doesn't think she stands a chance, but amazingly, Blake asks her out. As their romance heats up, they find themselves involved in an intense, consuming relationship. Ari's family worries that she is losing touch with the important things in life, like family, hard work, and planning for the future.

When misfortune befalls Blake's family, he pulls away, and Ari's world drains of color. As she struggles to get over the breakup, Ari must finally ask herself: were their feelings true love . . . or something else?

My Thoughts:

The synopsis on Goodreads for this book does not do it justice, in my opinion. It doesn't even cover half of what this story is about. I thought that this would be an extremely light read, but it pulled me through so many emotions from happy, to sad, to infuriated! This book is about Ari Mitchell and her eventual relationship with Blake Ellis, but it's also about her relationship with her sister Evelyn, her relationship with her very strict and worried mother, and her rocky friendships. You'd think that it may be boring to just read about the trials and tribulations of a teenage girl living in the 1980's, but it's not, not at all. Lorraine Zago Rosenthal includes a fleshed out cast of characters who are all very developed in their own way, and they almost seem like real people. To me, they are real people. Ari is just a typical girl on the surface. She could be anyone, she's the girl across the street, she's your best friend, she's your sister. But the way that Rosenthal wrote her character made me want to know her. She made me relate to her in a way that I haven't related to a character in a long time. I can't remember the last time I related to a character on such a high level. This book covers a lot of issues that teenagers go through. The first love, and the fallout of it, and the consequences of getting so wrapped up in someone that you neglect important things around you. This book also has a tremendous main plot but also has a lot of different conflicts that happen throughout that make you realize that this book is not just about love of a boyfriend/girlfriend, but love of family.
I love this book for all of those reasons. But I mostly love it because I feel like it has helped me to understand my own life. This book opened my eyes and made me realize that no matter how perfect a guy may seem on the surface, there's usually some type of flaw that you could be blind to. This book has helped me to get over someone who I really cared about because I was going through exactly what Ari was going through. So I'm pretty sure that you have to read this. You have no other options. I'm forcing you to go out and buy this book. Right now. Stop reading this and go to Barnes & Noble. And buy it. And I promise i'll be here when you get back.

(:

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more with you about Other Words For Love. It was so much more than I imagined. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful review! I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete