1.22.2011

The Carrie Diaries by Candace Bushnell

Photobucket
The Carrie Diaries by Candace Bushnell

Read: 1/15/11-1/21/11
Bought, Won, Got from local library, Got as a gift
Amount of hearts i give it: ♥&1/2


Synopsis:

Before Carrie Bradshaw hit the big time in the City, she was a regular girl growing up in the suburbs of Connecticut. How did she turn into one of the most-read social observers of our generation?

The Carrie Diaries opens up in Carrie's senior year of high school. She and her best friends -- Walt, Lali, Maggie, and the Mouse -- are inseparable, amid the sea of Jens, Jocks and Jets. And then Sebastian Kydd comes into the picture. Sebastian is a bad boy-older, intriguing, and unpredictable. Carrie falls into the relationship that she was always supposed to have in high school-until a friend's betrayal makes her question everything. With her high school days coming to a close, Carrie will realize it's finally time to go after everything she ever wanted.

Rabid fans of Sex and the City will love seeing Carrie Bradshaw evolve from a regular girl into a sharp, insightful writer. They'll learn about her family background -- how she found her writing voice, and the indelible impression her early friendships and relationships left on her. We'll see what brings Carrie to her beloved New York City, where the next Carrie Diaries book will take place.


My Thoughts:

The Carrie Diaries by Candace Bushnell was given to me for Christmas by my mom. The first thing to attract me to it, like many books, was the cover. I mean come on, tell me it doesn't make you wish you had it? I didn't know how much I'd like the book, but I knew I loved the cover. But back to the book at hand, I really liked it. I wasn't in love with it, but it was very light, though a tad predictable, and covered a lot of issues that a young Carrie Bradshaw might encounter. First love, drugs, overbearing parents, Losing a parent, Betrayal, Sexual Identity, Sex, and Alcohol...along with the dilemma of college and wanting to achieve a dream. In Carrie's case, writing. As a character, the young Carrie was relateable, funny, and overall, a joy to hang out with. She isn't the most popular girl but she has a small circle of friends and I think that a lot of readers will be able to relate to that. While there were so many good things about her, there were things I didn't like, such as her insecurity. But I realized that all young girls including myself are insecure or unsure at at least one point in her life. Carrie becomes even more insecure when she begins her relationship with Sebastian Kydd. Sebastian has been to many places and seems like he's everything she wants, and she believes that she's in love with him, but through the book he walks all over her and you're never sure if he ever loved her or even liked her that much, and that makes me very sad. Their whole relationship made me kind of annoyed because I knew it couldn't end well, but i also knew that in order for Carrie to become who she is in Sex In The City, she had to go through what she went through with Sebastian, so I was better able to let it go. Another thing I found interesting about this book was that through the book Bushnell includes subtle hints about characters who are in Sex in The City. If you don't know what I mean, you'll know when you read the book, which you should because it's a very good story that you'll be happy to have on your shelf.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds a bit 'girly', if you know what I mean ...?

    ReplyDelete