2.20.2011

Burned by Ellen Hopkins (a review to tie you over :] )

*read & reviewed this a long time ago, but i thought i'd post it since i've been so neglectful...



Burned (Burned, #1)

Burned by Ellen Hopkins


Read: 5/27/10-5/28/10

Bought, Won, Got from local library, Got as a gift

Amount of hearts i give it: ♥♥♥♥/5


Synopsis:

Raised in a religious -- yet abusive -- family, Pattyn Von Stratten starts asking questions -- about God, a woman's role, sex, love. She experiences the first stirrings of passion, but when her father catches her in a compromising position, events spiral out of control. Pattyn is sent to live with an aunt in the wilds of Nevada to find salvation and redemption. What she finds instead is love and acceptance -- until she realizes that her old demons will not let her go


My Thoughts:

I read this book in May when I was sick at home. I finished it a day, I tore through it because it was so readable and it was a fantastic story. It made me appreciate the fact that I don't live in an abusive household, but a household where I'm loved and taken care of and where the fact that I have rights is respected. I thought that the love story in this book was beautiful and lyrical and gorgeous & I found myself sobbing at it. This book was powerful, and heavy, everything you expect in an Ellen Hopkins novel. It's written very simply, but it packs a heavy, heavy punch. It goes straight into your heart and it becomes impossible to think of anything but the story for days. In my case, it's been almost a year and I'm still thinking about it from time to time. There was only one thing I didn't like about this book, the ending, but i will NOT go into it. Because end-ruiners are SO SO SO lame! But it was not enough to keep me from loving the book. And I saw that there will be a sequel called "Smoke", so at least there is a reason for the end. Anyway, I'm gonna shut up because you probably don't feel like reading this anymore. The point is, I'm in love with this book. Bye. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment